What External Motion Detector to purchase?

I have a 3 Camera system pretty good dialed in with Video motion detection, but especial at night I get a lot of false motion detection. e.g when my neighbors headlights sweeps through our Drive way.

So now I want to switch to external motion detection.

Can I get some experiences of what PIR devices other people is using ?

Thanks in advance
Kim

Hi Kim,

Most sensors that use SMTP or IFTTT integration should work just fine. There may be some fine tuning and placement that will have to be done to ensure you’re getting the right event triggers when it’s most important.

Please check out our blog post HERE discussing our top picks for sensors that can be used with Angelcam.

HI, thanks for the quick response… I have read that, but I am struggling to find a device that will work outdoor. and just wanted to hear experiences from other users.
Thanks

Hi Kim,

I’m curious whether you had been able to find a solution?

If not, I’ll try to help.

Can you please clarify when you would like to get a notification? E.g.:
A) anytime a person appears in front of my house, every day between 10PM and 5AM
B) anytime a person spends more than 10 seconds in front of my house, anytime I’m not at home
or similar.

Thanks!

Hi,
Main reason is that at night time is the Image based motion detection not working for us as Light and Bugs triggers the motion alarm.
So I just need to hear about experiences on external motion detectors to notify Angelcam.
Thanks
Kim

1 Like

Hik Kim!

Sorry for asking again, but for recommending the best setup, knowing this is important:

Can you please clarify WHEN you would like to GET notification? E.g.:
A) anytime a person appears in front of my house, every day between 10PM and 5AM
B) anytime a person spends more than 10 seconds in front of my house, anytime I’m not at home
or similar.

Thanks!

I want to get notified anytime something bigger than a Dog comes in to my driveway, day or night home or not.
Thanks
Kim

Hi Kim,

These PIR sensors that can do the job are either wired (cheaper, more features) or wireless (more expensive, less features, less outdoor options) Do you have a camera that is looking towards your driveway and have Inputs you could connect your PIR sensor to?

2 Likes

Thanks, I do not see the sensors you refer to, What I am after is a good outdoor PIR sensors that I can connect Angelcam. I have cameras and all is setup to use video motion detection, but it is to sensitive at night time. Please list the Outdoor wireless PIR sensors you know are good with Angelcam. The camera do not have any external option for Motion detection.

Hi Kim,

may I ask in which country are you located? Not all products are easily available globally…

I live in Denmark but anything in Europe should be doable

Hi Kim,

I was not able to find any wireless outdoor PIR sensor that could be easily integrated via IFTTT or Angelcam´s API on the stores in Europe. There are a lot of indoor sensors though. Outdoor PIR sensors need to handle challenging outdoor conditions and typically generate more false alarms if they are not of exceptional quality and installed by professionals.

There of course are solutions that are mostly wired and are dependent on a “bridge” device that sends the alarm messages to the Angelcam cloud, but the cost is a bit higher and typically the professional installation is required.

We do have a great experiences with “low-cost” thermal cameras (https://www.axis.com/cs-cz/products/axis-p1280e) that have close to zero false alarms. The downsize of it is a higher price-tag of 850 USD per camera.

What is your budget you´re willing to spend on this?